Saturday 29 December 2007

Writing Kode

If you've been enjoying the articles on the Unangband dungeon generation algorithm, you may want to have a look at the Writing Kode blog, which has a much more in-depth look at a dungeon generation algorithm, along with complete code examples.

I tend to not include code in my articles, simply because I'm trying to explain stuff at a 'higher-level' without necessarily getting implementation specific, and because the entire Unangband code base is browsable online, and hopefully reasonably well commented. And the 'why' is always more interesting than the 'how'.

In other roguelike development news, Ed Ropple first posts on rgrd with a SDL based roguelike rendering engine using the Mono and .NET frameworks.

Characteristically, he's had no response from the newsgroup. He should have learned to include deliberate errors, spelling mistakes and provocative statements in order to get a response. Something along the lines of 'I wouldn't bother developing roguelikes in anything else except javascript at the moment'. Discuss.

3 comments:

The Mud Hutter said...

Hey, don't knock Angband in Javascript! That's what I'm currently working on! I know it's not exactly an ideal situation, but allows for portability, easy modifications and updates, and ladder integration...
and, err, ok, it's really because I don't know C, but do know JS, and wanted to see if I could actually do it! Yes, I am well aware of JS's inefficiencies and how easy it might be to cheat. Although, I was hoping to implement some AJAX stuff to limit that, as well as for on-the-fly saving. Anyway, I'm rambling.

May I just say that your dungeon generation series has been really interesting and helpful. :)

I'll send you a link when I've got the dungeon generation fully working, if you'd like.

Andrew Doull said...

I'm fulling planning on writing my next roguelike in Javascript...

Would love the link once it's done.

Mikolaj said...

You are both crazy. ;D

Why not Java, then? Or Scala, even better? I think Angband is too big to be manageable in any language designed for quick hacks...